Education and Training Award Level 3 QCF (Teacher Training)
If you’re considering a career in teaching, or would like to update your teaching skills, this course will help you achieve your goal.
The Level 3 Award in Education and Training (QCF) is the first step towards becoming a professional teacher
Learn in a supportive environment with face-to-face classroom training sessions.
Gain an understanding of basic teaching techniques.
This course is set in a general teaching context and open to all those who have a passion in teaching and coaching the learners.
This course is the first step in teacher training and this learning pathway can take you all the way to a PGCE (Postgraduate Certificate in Education). This is a nationally recognised teacher training qualification and at the end of this course you will be known as an “Associate Teacher”.
To be awarded the Level 3 Award in Education and Training, learners must achieve a minimum of 12 credits: 3 credits from the mandatory unit in Group A, 6 credits from Group B and 3 credits from Group C. This qualification consists of one mandatory unit and 5 optional units and you are required to select totally 3 Units/ 3 subjects (One Unit from each Group).
Method of Assessment:
No formal examination is required for this course. Registered learners are issued with a selection of written 3 assignments (portfolio) covering the 3 core units studied and one micro teach session (Minimum 15 minutes micro teaching presentation). You can complete Micro teaching by sending us recorded videos of your presentation as a part of practical exam of one module.
These 3 assignments (portfolio) are to be completed and submitted online within 3 months of course commencement in order to gain the qualification. However, if you want to complete your course earlier, it can be done by completing your assessments early.
By doing online course, you can save your time and enrol at any time as your convenience. Throughout this online course, you will be provided efficient mentor support from our experience team of tutors/assessors, access to online study platform by using your username and password, Reading and study materials including recommended book (Gravells, A. 2013, The Award in Education and Training, Revised Edition, Sage Publication), Tutorial video, and full guidance for making assessments (portfolios). Also, you will have special online forum for communication with your mentor and other learners who are doing same.
Course program is a Distance Learning only and you will turn up for the practical (Classroom Teaching) at the Learning centre in London.
The Level 3 Award in Education and Training is an accredited qualification on the QCF framework, regulated by Ofqual and is suitable for individuals who wish to teach in the Further Education and Skills Sector and forms a foundation for those with little or no previous experience of teaching or training. Teaching can offer you fantastic career prospects and development opportunities and this course is a great place to begin.
This course is a direct replacement for the old PTLLS course (often referred to as “petals”).
On this course you will discover:
- The roles, responsibilities and relationships in lifelong learning
- Understanding inclusive learning and teaching in lifelong learning
- Appropriate teaching and learning approaches in your specialist area
- How to deliver inclusive sessions which engage and motivate learners
- The use of different assessment methods and the need for record keeping
- Relevant legislation, regulations and codes of practice
Unit 1 – Understanding Roles, Responsibilities and Relationships in Education and Training
- Understand the teaching role and responsibilities in education and training
- Understand ways to maintain a safe and supportive learning environment
- Understand the relationships between teachers and other professionals in education and training
Unit 2 – Understanding and Using Inclusive Teaching and Learning Approaches in Education and Training
- Describe features of inclusive teaching and learning
- Compare the strengths and limitations of teaching and learning approaches used in own area of specialism in relation to meeting individual learner needs
- Explain why it is important to provide opportunities for learners to develop their English, mathematics, ICT and wider skills
- Explain why it is important to create an inclusive teaching and learning environment
- Explain why it is important to select teaching and learning approaches, resources and assessment methods to meet individual learner needs
- Explain ways to engage and motivate learners
- Summarise ways to establish ground rules with learners
Unit 3 – Session Planning and Micro Teach Skills
- Devise an inclusive teaching and learning plan
- Justify own selection of teaching and learning approaches, resources and assessment methods in relation to meeting individual learner needs
- Use teaching and learning approaches, resources and assessment methods to meet individual learner needs
- Communicate with learners in ways that meet their individual needs
- Provide constructive feedback to learners to meet their individual needs
- Review the effectiveness of own delivery of inclusive teaching and learning
- Identify areas for improvement in own delivery of inclusive teaching and learning
Unit 4 – Understanding assessment in education and training
- Explain the purpose of the types of assessment used in education and training
- Describe characteristics of different methods of assessment in education and training
- Compare the strengths and limitations of different assessment methods in relation to meeting individual learner needs
- Explain why it is important to involve learners and others in the assessment process
- Explain the role and use of peer and self-assessment in the assessment process
- Identify sources of information that should be made available to learners and others involved in the assessment process
- Describe key features of constructive feedback
- Explain how constructive feedback contributes to the assessment process
- Explain ways to give constructive feedback to learners
- Explain the need for keeping records of assessment of learning
- Summarise the requirements for keeping records of assessment in an organisation
(Unit 3 is aimed at preparing you for the micro-teach and as such it doesn’t have any assignments attached. Unit 3 is still required to complete the course.). This course replaced the old PTTLS qualification in August 2014.
There are 3 tutor marked assignments (TMAs), which are submitted and then marked by your tutor. You will not be required to take an external exam, however you will need to complete a short practical Micro-Teach as part of the qualification. This can be achieved by volunteering in a teaching environment.
You have up to a year to complete this course and we have included a suggested number of study hours below. This is usually ample time for learners, even with full time jobs and other commitments. Don’t worry if you need longer, we can organise an extension to your course for a small fee, which also extends your tutor support.
The course is specially designed for study by distance learning. Throughout the course there will be self-assessment questions, and tutor marked assignments (TMAs), to enable you to monitor your progress.
At the end of this course successful learners will be awarded a certificate in Education and Training Award Level 3 from TQUK.
Course questions and answers
Q: Tell me about my Tutor Support?
You will have access to your personal tutor, via email, who will mark your assignments and guide you through the course to help you get ready for your assessments. In addition, you will be supplied with a comprehensive Study Guide which will help you through the study and assessment process. This is especially useful if you haven’t studied for a while.
Q: What skills are needed to enrol onto this course?
You don’t need any prior skills in the subject area to start this course.
Q: What is included in the cost of my course?
We provide all the specially written learning materials you require to study this course at home. The course fee also includes tutor support for 12 months.
Q: Are there any additional costs?
You will receive everything you need to complete this course within the study pack we send to you.
Q: Is there a required reading list?
No, all of the study materials are supplied within your learning pack.
Q: Do I have to sit an exam?
No, this course is assessed by coursework alone.
Q: What if I live outside the UK?
That’s fine, this course can be studied anywhere and is completed by submitting Tutor marked assignments (TMAs).
Q: What do I do if I still have questions?
For more details, please call the team on: email@example.com or Tel: 0203 8651382